UPDATE

AS OF JANUARY 1, 2013 - POSTING ON THIS BLOG WILL NO LONGER BE 'DAILY'. SWITCHING TO 'OCCASIONAL' POSTING.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

More Horror Tales of Online Dating



By Ellie (Advice Columnist)

With Internet dating a viable and popular choice, anyone going this route still needs to decide how to select and be selected, judge and be judged.

I say this because of the vast number of stories I hear about online dating disasters and disappointments. For every successful match with a prince/princess, a lot of frogs of both genders clutter the path.

Here are some women’s horror stories from the online trenches:

Reader 1: “I found that out of all the men’s profiles I was sent, the vast majority contained lies, mostly about age. Or about how long they’d been out of a relationship, if at all. One man said he was living in a basement apartment and visiting his kids on weekends. It didn’t ring true, as he was in banking and talked about making a lot of money, so it seemed strange he was living in someone’s basement.

“On the third date, I insisted he take me to his apartment, as he’d hesitated when I’d previously asked questions about his place. One look and I knew he didn’t live there: no photos, no work-related papers, it looked unused.

“He protested that he wasn’t there much, but when I said I was never going out with him again so he might as well come clean, he confessed he still lived with his wife — but they never slept together. Yeah, right.”

Reader 2: “My profile says I’m athletic, love spending time doing sports and hiking, work in the physical health and fitness field and would never smoke. My photo shows a whole-body view of me in a dress. I am slim and toned. Yet many men who emailed me were visibly and heavily overweight and some were also smokers.

“On the second date with a fit-looking guy who was athletic (though 10 years older than he said), he suggested we stop going out on dates and just eat at home and watch TV.

“In my profile I noted that I love music and being out on the town. I hardly know the guy, so why would I want to settle down to a routine of staying home so fast? It wasn’t about money, because I paid my way on those first two dates, and he had a good job.

“I found that guys like him, in their 40s and never been married, are just too set in their ways.”


No comments: